POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blurred reflection: cheat mode? : Blurred reflection: cheat mode? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Blurred reflection: cheat mode?
From: Loki
Date: 10 Jan 2005 10:15:01
Message: <web.41e29b62a68c029de43666cf0@news.povray.org>
I haven't tried this yet, it just occurred to me, so I was wondering if
anyone else has.  To get blurred reflections, is it possible to cheat by
rendering the scene using a spherical projection from the location of an
object, then blurring the image in photoshop or whatever, then mapping the
image back onto the object as a kind of 'env ball' reflection? (as done in
some other renderers.)  I'm not sure if it would work purely from a
geometrical point of view, but in some cases, like if the object itself is
very simple like a sphere, it might look OK and save a lot of micronormal
fiddling?  I thought of this while looking at the copper balls pic recently
posted.  It might save render time and a lot of fiddling - if it worked.

-